Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Windows

My mom always told me to wash windows on a cloudy day. I remember wanting to clean the windows when it was sunny...you know, when I could see the fingerprints.

I never knew why I wasn't supposed to wash the windows on a sunny day, just that mom said no.

Turns out, washing windows should be done on a cloudy day, because direct sunlight dries cleaning solutions before you can polish the glass properly. And now you know.

A few other tips for having clean windows, wash one side of a window with horizontal strokes and the other side with vertical strokes so you can pinpoint which side of the window has a streak.
­
In my attempt to be frugal (and at the same time, green) I don't use paper towels to clean my windows any more. I am lucky enough to get "blue rags" from my mom. She gets them at the hospital she works at. They use them once, to wrap and sterilize medical tools. Once used, they can't be used again for medical reasons, and they usually throw them away. Old T-shirts work well too! You can also polish windows to a sparkling shine with crumpled newspaper. The paper also leaves a film that's resistant to dirt.

Always wash your windows from the top down to prevent drips.

While window cleaners are nice on the glass, they can take the finish off of woodwork. Don't let them drip on the windowsill where they can harm the paint or varnish.


Get those windows nice and clean. Stand back and enjoy the sun streaming in. For at least 10 seconds before the kids goober it up again. At least, that's how long mine last. I'm partially convinced my kids have "clean window radar".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...