Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Toy Thursday: Lacing Beads!


This week has been cool and cloudy, so I have had to put on my thinking cap for some fun activities to do inside. One activity that has been in the back of my mind lately has to do with the fact that Judah is at that age where stringing beads enhances fine motor development.

According to a number of resources (for I seem to see the idea often), lacing objects can stimulate fine motor skills in toddlers. Practicing picking up and threading objects provides cognitive skills as well. Kids learn patience as they solve stringing and sliding objects on strings.

I have seen several different variations of this lacing concept. Peg boards...necklaces of big holed pasta...wooden blocks...and so on. I had always wanted to buy Judah a kit. But then the "light" turned on and I need not wait anymore.

A number of years ago, I had purchased antique wooden thread spools at a garage sale for like $0.50. At the time, I thought these empty wooden spools were cool. Bingo! The spools are big enough for threading shoe laces and sticks.

Judah and I therefore spent some time trying it out. He learned to thread the shoe lace or stick through the hole of the spool. We made a necklace and stacked them. I put down a place mat on the floor for a hard surface to stack.

This is a skill that will take some time to master. But at least I have an activity for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...