Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Shuffle Saturday: Extreme Couponing or Hoarding

I LOVE couponing. LOVE it. I get up extra early in the morning to grab the Sunday paper from our doorstep and immediately take out the coupons. I then clip the ones I like and pull the Target, Walgreens etc ads. I compare what I have coupons of to what is on sale--to get an even better deal.


It's an obsession. I admit it. So I, like other couponers got excited when TLC was debuting a new show called "Extreme Couponing" and I watched an episode. And then I got mad.

Do I believe in having a bit of a stockpile? Yes. I like having things on hand when I need/want them. Do I think these people take it a bit too far? YES. Like the ladies who dumped the entire display of toothpaste. Or the woman who cleared the shelf of mustard (and then admitted she doesn't even use mustard). Too far. I hate it when I have a coupon (or two) of an item only to get to the store, find the shelf empty and then see someone pushing around a CART FULL of the item I need one of.

One black Friday, Wal-Mart was having a GREAT deal on memory cards for cameras. I knew my dad could use one and being the glutton for punishment that I am, I was there at 5 AM when they opened. I searched ALL OVER for the memory cards only to find the display was empty. A few rows over, a cart was HALF FULL of them. While I had seen carts of items being used as places to hold the items, I assumed that this was the same. I reached in the cart that was half full of memory cards and grabbed two (you can imagine how many small memory cards it takes to fill a cart up to half) only to have a woman say to me, "Um, excuse me. This is my cart." I apologized and asked her, "Would you really miss two of them?" She responded, "I suppose not."

Come on now, people. I understand being proud of a great deal but really people? Think of others before you clear a shelf only to hoard (yes, hoard) more items than you can use. Remember, everywhere you go and everything you do, character still counts. Think of others before you selfishly dump a display or clear a shelf. While it is nice that you might be giving some food to shelters and packages for military serving overseas, having more body wash than you can use in five years time isn't a healthy enjoyment of couponing, it is hoarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...