Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Make Monday: Making Messes!

Have you ever had one of those days where it seems like you barely keep up with your child? Judah is like that today and frankly I am exhausted....and I only have one!

You know what I am talking about. Before you can clean up one mess, the kid is already making a new mess with and in something else. These are the days I just want to lock myself in the bathroom, really.

Barely five years old, I remember my one year old brother to this day climbing onto the kitchen table, dumping out the salt and pepper. He sat on the table (where I found him) shaking the salt and pepper all over himself, the table, and the floor. Not sure if I found him first (I think so) but I recall my mom coming over with a surprised, maybe a little annoyed, look on her face. She took him off the table and let him climb all over the vacuum cleaner while she proceeded to clean up.

This morning, Judah found the table as well. He pulled off the table cloth and then one by one took all the napkins out of the holder. This is while I was still wiping up splattered yogurt off the floor from him throwing his spoons (yes, he had to have one for each hand and a big one too) at breakfast.

I did not have time to clean that up before we made our way upstairs to get dressed. While I got out his clothes, he wanted to get out the puzzles and his felt board shapes which of course were dumped all over the floor. From there the books came down one by one as Judah surrounded himself with a reading pile.

Later, we got the crayons out to color at the table. Instead the colors were thrown across the floor and after making him pick them up, he made his way behind the couch to tear and eat the big card board box. The crayons only added to the mess of colored Easter eggs we already played with in the living room plus all the usual toys strewn across the carpet floor.

Later that evening with Dad, Judah knocked over the trash can, spilling out all its contents. Even as Dad cleaned up the mess on the kitchen floor, Judah was into the cupboard pulling out the lids to play with.

I suppose like my mom, all we can do is encourage exploration and teach them to help you clean up. They say to enjoy these days as they go fast. Sometimes a day like today cannot go fast enough. Thank God for nap time as nap time was invented to help moms sanity.

At any rate, it was a busy morning. At least we are both safe and sound. To find out what else kids do when mom is not looking, take a minute to laugh your way through, That is Not a Toy!

From one mom to another, I hope you survive the messes of the day! It will only be for a season after all. At least that is what I tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...