Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Salvation Sunday: Praying for Japan

Watching the events unfold in Japan have touched me personally. In college at Iowa State, I had a roommate named Maiko from Japan. Maiko was at ISU studying English because her dream was to work with handicapped children and allow them to swim with dolphins, inspired by a movie she saw as a child.

She grew up just outside of Tokyo and while her English wasn't great, it was better than my Japanese, that's for sure. I could count to ten and say "Hello." That's it. I still remember taking Maiko "home" to Glidden, where I grew up. She couldn't believe all of the open space in Iowa. I took her to see some Texas Longhorn cattle that a friend of ours had on their farm and she was in awe. She couldn't stop laughing that one cow was pooping on her calf...lol.

We visited the local "Dairy Mart", complete with NASCAR flags and ice cream posters. She said, "This is like real American cafe!" We introduced my parents to Japanese cuisine (she made sushi) and I always think of her when I look at the moon. We had told her about "the man in the moon" and she said "No, the rabbit." If you turn your head sideways, there is a rabbit in the moon!

Having a roommate from Japan, I had to ask about WWII. After all, my Grandfather fought in the South Pacific. I found out that hers did too. And there we were, granddaughters of enemies, living together. 

We lost touch after she returned to Japan and I graduated, but I found myself thinking of her often. After the tragedy struck, I contacted my other roommates and we were able to reach her.

She lives near her parents and they are staying there. She is fine, just scared. Even though I haven't heard from her in some time, she was excited to hear from me (and wants us to visit Japan...maybe not in the near future, but soon).

While it may seem a million miles away, we are all connected. So I ask of you, pray for those in Japan, even if you don't know anyone there. We are blessed, in Iowa, not to have to know what it's like to hold your child while the Earth moves or what it's like to scoop up your children and run from a wall of water raging towards your home.

The power of prayers are stronger than any earthquake or Tsunami. Pray.

Let's Rejoice  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...