Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Shuffle Saturday: Respecting Others

Yes, this is where I get on my soapbox. This week I experienced and viewed a lot of disrespect from others. What is wrong with people these days? When did respect for others go out the window?

The first example of this was when I was informed that a friends "Save the Barn" sign had been defaced. They took green spray paint and painted over the "N" so that it said "Save the Bar" and over the website, it said "Happy St. Pat's". Like I've said before, I value free speech. I will defend my right to free speech as well as others right. However, free speech means you have the right to say what you want. Infringing on others free speech (by defacing signs) is NOT an example of free speech. That is flat out vandalism. That is disrespecting others.

On St. Patrick's Day, my dad came to visit and we ventured downtown to watch the parade. I had never had the opportunity to see the parade in the 9 years I've lived in Des Moines because I had always been working, so I was excited too.

Dad came over and we loaded up all three boys in the van and were on our way. We were lucky enough to find a parking spot and after feeding the meter and loading up the double stroller, we were on our way.

We walked to where the parade route was and waited for the police to close the street so we could get up front so Liam could get candy (as this is what is important to a preschooler at a parade). The street was packed with people watching the parade, joining in the festivities that is St. Patrick's Day. I noticed two very large women, each with a empty grocery bag. I looked around but didn't see any children with them. Strange, I thought.

The parade began and then I saw what these women were doing. They were taking turns gathering candy. Yes, grown women gathering candy from children at the parade. While one was getting candy, blocking out the children with her girth, the other was sitting on the metal folding chair they had brought smoking a cigarette. I'm not kidding. They had to have smoked a pack between the two of them. When one was finished smoking, she'd get up and trade places with the other.

Now, the parade route is surrounded with children. And yes, I understand it is outdoors and in a public place. But come on. First of all, do you really need that candy? No. I'm sure your doctor would agree with me. Secondly, do you need to smoke around small children? No.

Every time they would light up, I would move further away from them, giving them a disapproving glance. Children are present. Their perfect little pink lungs are being effected by her choice to smoke. My children who are enjoying a public parade shouldn't have to be subjected by someone else's choice to smoke. If you want to smoke, fine. But don't do it around my children.

If you don't believe me, I snapped a picture. I think people should be more respectful of others. They didn't need the two full bags of candy. More importantly, they didn't need to smoke around so many children. Think of others. That's all I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...