Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Toy Thursday: I Bathe With Aquaman (And Other Confessions from a Mom of Boys)

I've considered writing a book about raising boys. It wouldn't be a "how to" book, more like a "this is what to expect" or "yes, my kids did that too" kind of book. Something mothers of boys could read and laugh at. Something, when they feel like they want to pull their hair out, that says, "I survived and you can too."

When we found out our oldest son was going to have a brother at the ultrasound, the oh so common question kept coming up. "Are you going to try for a girl?" My response was polite "Oh, we don't know (insert smile)", for a while. But the larger I got and the more often I heard the question, my response turned to, "Can I birth this child first?"

Shortly after our second son was born (9 months), we found out we were expecting again. Another boy. And more of the same question. "Are you going to try for a girl?" My response changed from irritation to "you know, to be honest, I wouldn't know what to do with a girl!"

Growing up I always pictured taking my little girl to dance and cheerleading...planning her wedding (so I got a little carried away) etc. But I find I've been blessed with three boys. And I wouldn't have it any other way. After all, I finally have someone to watch baseball and football with and you can be a little more rough with boys. Now, I'm not saying there is no chance for a girl in our future...we're leaving that up to God. 

But really? I wouldn't know what to do with a girl. Sure, I could revert to my (somewhat) girlie ways. I wear makeup (daily) and dresses (occasionally) but if we have a girl, with three older brothers? She's going to be the toughest girl around.

Yes, I bathe with Aquaman. And I'm fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...