Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Make Monday: Making Friends!

I have been thinking about what it means to be a friend lately. Perhaps it has been on my mind since it seems like so many people in my world need a friend....someone to talk to...lend a hand...offer encouragement...or simply hang out with. We all need friends.

In today's society, it seems like people put on masks. I am your friend only if you do this. I am your friend because. I am your friend for now. I am your friend but. I am your friend as long as.

Do we really stop to get to know people? Do we really take time to foster friendships?

True friendship is developed through "thick and think." You will know your friends by what happens at the end of the day. They still love you despite your faults. They are still there when you return. They keep you accountable. They make you laugh and cry. They keep you honest.

I remember when I was moving on from my college job into the real world. Saying goodbye to some dear friends made the move more difficult in the apparent loss of friendships. One coworker who was like my grandma reminded me that there is a season for everything. In her wisdom, she told me that God would fill the void with a new friendship in my new life, just for the next season.

How true. I look back on my friendships realizing the seasons of life brought different friendships. Each friend was in my life at just the right time. God was faithful once again.

I love making new friends. It seems like God has gifted me with meeting people. For some reason, it is easy to go up to someone and start talking (if I need to). Sometimes though I struggle with maintaining those friendships and strengthening the trust and communication aspect. That is what I need to work on.

Today was a super busy day for me volunteering at an event at my church. It was one of those instances where your two worlds collide. I saw old friends and made some new ones. What joy it is to have friends. I hope I can be that friend as well to others.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...