Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Making Your Laundry Work for YOU!

Here in Iowa, we're fully into winter. It's cold. It's snowy. And it's dry in the house. Dry hands, dry legs and dry noses. In my house, dry noses = bloody noses. Ew.

But here's an easy way to get humidity into your house and save money! Invest in a drying rack. I LOVE my drying rack in the winter. I hang almost everything to dry (except towels, underwear, socks and by request, my husband's jeans). Jeans will feel "crunchy" if you let them air dry, so if you like soft jeans, dry them in the dryer.

I hang shirts on hangers while wet and hang them from anywhere I can find that will support them. Christmas stocking hangers (yes, I really do this), door knobs, shower bars etc. The nice thing is, once they're dry, I just hang them in the closet!

I love it when it is cold outside that my house is so warm that the windows fog over. The whole house smells like fresh laundry and it is warm and humid. Plus the occurrence of bloody noses drops! 

Have a warm and money saving winter!

4 comments:

  1. I do that, too! :) I love being able to know one, that I am conserving energy but two- you're absolutely right, that drying moisture in the air is great. We have a wood stove here in the dining room, I've really been considering putting a rack near it (Not close to be a fire hazard) and doing it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a wood stove in the house I grew up in. Mom was always drying clothes near it...but the best part of the wood stove was when we had a cough, she would put a old cloth diaper on the top of the stove to get it warm, "grease" us up with Vicks, put the warm rag on our chest and zip up our jammies. We would run upstairs as fast as possible and hop into bed to keep the warm in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have to invest in a clothes rack. For now I think I will try and hang clothes off the shower curtain rod. Can't wait for Spring when we can hang outside again.

    Thanks for linking up to the Frugal Tuesday Tip blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hang our clothes inside also. I wish we had a wood stove, but we have baseboard heat. A stove is so much more cozy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...