Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Salvation Sunday: Making time for yourself!

Moms everywhere are going a mile a minute. Chauffeur, cook, clean, career, you do it all! You balance kids, home, work, and much, much more all the time that too often you have little if not any time for yourself. You probably even have to lock yourself in the bathroom just to read this. Am I right?

Last weekend, I took my first weekend away from home since Judah was born. Every minute spent at the cabin with friends scrapbooking was definitely worth the wait. And it was worth the hassle of making sure Tim and Judah were ready to survive without mom for a weekend. Finally, I was making time for myself and getting away to do it. It had been too long though without a break.

How can we take care of others when we do not even take care of ourselves?

So often my day is crammed with things back to back. Among them, I try to squeeze a few minutes for my Bible reading. When I reach that point though, usually I had been going so fast that my mind just keeps wondering about to do lists or something I would rather do. I feel guilty when finally I put down my Bible and instead pick up a fun book to read.

If we cannot take care of ourselves, how can we expect to take care of our relationship with God? I find that if I just take a few minutes for myself first to settle down, quiet my heart and mind, and do something fun that I am much more prepared emotionally to focus on God when I do get to read the Bible. Suddenly, spending time with God no longer becomes a chore like everything else in life but rather a special time I look forward to.

Psalm 46:10a says, "Be still and know that I am God." It does not say, hurry up and squeeze me in today just so that you can check it off your list. Our spiritual lives are so reliant on our emotional state and physical health, that if one is out of balance, often our spiritual lives suffer as well. 1 Corinthians 6:12 - 20 talks about caring for our bodies as the "temple of the Holy Spirit." I am sure that Christ does not want to live in a temple that is full of chaos and worry over chaos. And I am sure Christ does not enjoy living in a temple that has not been emotionally cared for and talents cultivated. It would be like coming home from work and giving God the leftovers.

Just like I came home refreshed and better to serve my son's needs last weekend, likewise we are more refreshed, cheerful, and emotionally sound to spend time with God after caring for ourselves.

Join me in trying to take care of yourself and doing a better job of it. I know it is easier said than done, but I was reminded last weekend how much it was needed. Our heart, mind, and soul will be all the better for God because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post and how true! It was great spending time with you at the cabin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...