Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tip Tuesday: Spiced up!


After Christmas, my sister-in-law and I ventured out to the stores to see the after Christmas sales. One of our stops was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, which you cannot go wrong in any home store. We were walking around the store to kill time while our husbands were in Best Buy next door. We stopped in the kitchen section only for my sister-in-law declare that she needed to get new spice containers. Looking at the spice racks, we discovered a hard choice between inconveniently bulky racks and expensive sets.

Spices are so hard to organize in your kitchen.

Most often they take up space on the counter, in the cupboard, or in a drawer that is so full you cannot even open it. And since they are not accessible, you are less likely to use them and instead just keep buying new ones. Other times, the spice rack has to be organized such a way you cannot even see the labels. Been there, right?

As I told my sister-in-law, I store my spices on the refrigerator in special spice, magnet containers. Labeled, I have the spices on the side (out of the way of the door) of the fridge next to the stove for an easy find to use. If I want to throw some basil or oregano in a dish, I can access it on the fridge, turning the lid to shake it out of the container and closing it, put it back onto the fridge. That simple!

I have also picked up some similar crafting containers to hold other household items such as loose change, toothpicks, and corn on the cob holders on the fridge. Upstairs I have white ones on a white magnet board that hold rubber bands, paper clips, and push pins next to our desk on the wall in our office. I like these so much that I even have some stuck to a magnet bar in my craft closet for buttons and brads.

My spices on the fridge are probably the first thing commented on in my house when someone walks through the door and gets a drink of water. It sure makes for great conversation but even more keeps me organized leaving free space in my cupboards and better tasty dishes all spiced up.

So while you are cooped up indoors this week due to the snow, take a few minutes to go through your own spices. Throw away old spices and refill favorite ones. I also challenge you to start experimenting with your spices and herbs.

In the past I have found these containers at Target, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, The Container Store, and Ikea, usually in the kitchen section. Just make sure you have the right kind for your intended purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...