Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Toy Thursday: Indoor Sandbox!


If you were like us this week, you got cabin fever. Wind chills to already frigid temperatures kept us indoors several days this week, afraid to venture out in the snow and cold. So we had to get creative!

I thought we could play indoor sandbox, without the sand of course.

I did take an old used tin container and filled it with instant rice, dried lentils, navy beans, and some macaroni. Then I scavenged the garage for Judah's toy shovel and some cups and shapes. I put a vinyl tablecloth down on the living room carpet and we scooped and shoveled until our heart's content. We even ate some and then stuck our feet in to feel the funny textures and shapes. Needless to say, we survived cabin fever for one more day.

I learned a couple of things throughout this adventure. Even though the rules were to stay on the tablecloth, expect to vacuum the floor anyways. I knew this going in and had planned to vacuum my already dirty floor. Next, consider using instant rice only for small children who tend to put things in their mouth. For older children, think about using bird seed so all you have to do for clean up is shake the tablecloth outside. I used the items that I did because that is what I had in the pantry.

Try the indoor sandbox. Explore different textures and shapes of items. Practice scooping and shoveling. Feel with your hands and toes. And if your brave, maybe hide some small items to find or add water for a different feel. At any rate, it will take the mundane out of being cooped up indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...