Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Attacking Carpet Odor

The person who owned our place before us had a big yellow lab. And we have a cat that makes messes. Add a child who has probably thrown every thinkable food onto the carpet including milk that sours. Then add a whole lot of traffic in the house walking across the floor with dirty feet or shoes. What you get is a stinky house. So sometimes, I feel the smells over power the house.

I am always afraid our guests think my house stinks. To combat this fear I use candles or air freshener. I clean out the litter box as often as I remember. And we try to wipe the couch immediately after a mess. I even have the windows open as much as the weather allows. And every so often we rent a steamer to clean the carpet. And I put down a clear office chair mat

Still, I really think my house stinks. We had talked about replacing the carpet in our living room and dining room. It certainly needed it the moment we moved in. Imagining new flooring is about as close to reality in this market that you are going to get.

That is why I started using baking soda down on the carpet. Glade also offers Tough Odor Solutions that also eliminates carpet odor. I sprinkle a little around the floor, letting it sit before vacuuming it up with the vacuum cleaner. The powder soaks in the odor as you vacuum the floor.

It is that simple and I get one more mile of freshness out of my clean living room. And the carpet lasts for one more day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...