Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Toy Thursday: Don't "Toy" With Your Children

Usually "Toy Thursday" is a fun post about toys, how we have too many toys, bath toys etc. But today is going to be different.

I read a post, long story short, a Florida couple are suing an obstetrician and two ultrasound clinics for not warning them that their son would be born with just one leg and no arms.

The defense is saying Ana Mejia signed forms that indicated she understood an ultrasound—she had seven during her pregnancy—is not a guarantee of a “normal” baby. Her son, Bryan, is now almost three years old. “He sees kids running and playing. He looks like he wants to do the same, but he just can’t,” she said during the trial, expected to wrap up this week. Had she known about her son’s disabilities, she proclaimed, “I would have had an abortion.”

And it made me angry. REALLY angry. I know what you're thinking. Oh boy, here is Sarah on her soapbox again. This is a topic I feel VERY strongly about.

This "mother" is "ordering the Palm Beach Gardens obstetrician and the companies she works for to pay $9 million toward his future care as well as award an unspecified amount for their own pain and suffering."

And yes, I used the word mother in quotes. Because in my opinion, she's not a mother. She had a child she sees as a burden to her and she wants to make money from it. Yes, she did have seven (really, who has seven) ultrasounds and one should have seen something...but being a mother of three kids and having ultrasounds, sometimes the baby is turned a certain way and can't see everything.

According to the article, Bryan is a happy toddler. So what is wrong here? How can this mother be going for NINE MILLION dollars for care as well as "an unspecified amount for their own pain and suffering". Really? This is YOUR CHILD. YOUR FLESH AND BLOOD. NOT a burden.

But what hurts me the most is this child. He doesn't really know that he's all that different. It's not like he had legs and both arms. He knows no different. He can overcome his disability, with the SUPPORT of a loving environment. And then there's his "mother" saying she would have aborted him. How's that going to make him feel when he's old enough to understand what that means? Just because I developed the way I did, my mom wouldn't want me to live?

Why does it make me SO ANGRY? Well, because when I was pregnant with Liam, a "friend" told me that I could "just have an abortion, move to Chicago and start over." I didn't even think of it. I'll be honest, when the little plus sign showed up on the stick, I was scared. David (my husband, then boyfriend) was at a weekend military training in Kansas. When he came home, the next morning, I took another test. Again, another positive. Somewhat worried about his reaction, I went into the bedroom with the positive result and instructions and showed it to him. He looked at me, smiled and said, "If it's a boy, we're naming him Conor."

Obviously he wasn't a Conor. He's a William. Or Liam. But he was ours. And was from the beginning. At my 18 week ultrasound, they were worried about his kidneys. They said they couldn't be sure, but they didn't think they were functioning correctly and scheduled me for another ultrasound at 28 and 38 weeks. They also assured me that if something was wrong, they had a new surgery they could do at birth to help him process...although he might have to be on dialysis. And I didn't even blink. He was my little boy. He was our little boy. A blessing from God.

At 38 weeks they could be sure he'd be fine and wouldn't need surgery, thanks be to God. But you know what, even if he had "issues", I never would have aborted him. He has been a blessing, from day one...before day one.


We are ALL wonderfully made. God has a plan for ALL OF US. Why this "mother" thinks her plan is to get rich off of her child, makes me sick. Which is why I feel she is not a mother at all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm at work reading this...and crying. I didn't have the genetic screening done for this very reason. I knew if something was wrong with my baby that I would do nothing differently and I didn't want any additional stress. Sure, it would have helped me prepare if something would have been wrong, but I was ready to cross that bridge had it been the case when my baby was born. I would gladly take this baby in my home - no money needed! I am a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We declined the genetic screening for all three boys as well. Too many chances for a false positive and we'd love the baby no matter what. You are a mother. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...