Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Make Monday: Make Your (Child's) Voice Heard

*The following is just the views of Sarah Bowman and not everyone at Mommy's Recess*

Tomorrow is school board election day here in West Des Moines. I plan to vote in my first (and I'm somewhat ashamed to say that)school board election tomorrow. I was excited too, thinking I had voted in every election I was eligible for. I DO work in politics, after all.

Then again, I had already graduated high school and have my four year degree...it's just NOW that I THOUGHT the school board elections effect me. But this past year, with barn-gate, my eyes have been opened. I didn't need to have a child in school to have the school board effect me.

Now, I do have a child in the school system. My oldest child started kindergarten this year. But again, with the help of barn-gate, I saw how tax dollars are spent (or misspent). If you pay sales tax, you're effected. If you pay property tax, you're effected.

The people you elect to the school board choose how YOUR money is spent (or, again, misspent).

And for my first school board election, I'm voting for Julia McGuire.
Having getting to know her over the past 9 months has been great. And I see that she would be responsible with OUR money as I've seen how responsible she is with HER money.

I believe we need more transparency in Government. ALL Government. That starts with the school board.




Our children can't vote. But we can speak for them. If you have the nerve to expect honesty from those guiding your child's education, if you have the audacity for those who are spending your tax dollars to be held responsible for their decisions, then you need to vote for Julia McGuire tomorrow. She will be honest, she will hold herself responsible and she will be accountable for her votes and actions.

Because Julia doesn't just speak about Character Counts, she lives it.

So tomorrow, vote for Julia McGuire. And write in Sarah Bowman, if you feel so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...