Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Make Monday: Make Time For Yourself--Or End Up In The Hospital

Hey friends! It's been awhile since I posted! One thing I've learned over these last few weeks is that I need to make time for myself.

I had been experiencing pain for some time, but being the "tough mama" that I am, I ignored it until it was just too much to handle. And that's when I admitted I needed to go to the clinic. But I waited until it worked for my husband and my kids' schedule.

I had right flank pain, which made me think kidney stones. But it was worse than kidney stones. I've had them before. I managed to pass one, while pregnant (which meant I didn't take anything for the pain because I didn't want to harm the baby) at work (because I couldn't afford to take time off because I needed to save all of my PTO for the birth). Yes, while pregnant I passed a stone medication free at work. I know I may sound like your typical mother martyr, and I'm not trying to do that by any means, but I want to give you a point of reference on how bad pain has to be for me to inconvenience my husband/children.

The Doctor did a pregnancy test as well as a test for stones. Both were negative. So she gave me some Vicodin for the pain and sent me on my merry way. A week and a half later, I found myself in the ER. I had started my cycle and it was a lot heavier than normal. And A LOT more painful than normal. Again, for me to inconvenience anyone with my pain--it must be a big deal. So I called Mercy Nurse and they told me to go into the ER ASAP. I waited for my husband to return with the preschooler and finished up some work. I had him take me into the ER. They pumped me FULL of pain meds and the Doctor was amazed I was still awake and talking...and still in pain.

After 2 ultrasounds, 1 x-ray and 1 CAT Scan they found a large cyst on my right ovary. They kept me overnight for pain management. We scheduled surgery for Friday to remove the entire right ovary. Tuesday through Friday was a blur of pain, medication and prayer. I was so nervous about the surgery I even visited our Church and Father gave me the Anointing of the Sick. I was kind of freaking out.

My mom came down on Thursday night and we went in on Friday morning at 6AM. I remember trying to talk in the surgery room about the barn, my work and all of the things I do at home. I was trying to fight the overwhelming relaxing feeling coming over me because I HAD to tell the Doctors and Nurses about what I was involved in and HAD to spread the word. I'm a busy mom...I can't sleep! I know when I woke up, I was talking about the barn and CAPE PAC as well.

And I'm pushing myself too much. I know. The day after the surgery I went to our garage sale and had to have people tell me to sit down and not to lift things.

So between work, my volunteer items, taking care of the boys, trying to buy a house and getting our finances in order, taking care of the home...I spread myself a little thin. Now I'm not saying that the cyst is a result of all I do...but if I took time to listen to my body, maybe I would have heard what my body was trying to say and been able to schedule something, rather than having it all on an emergency status.

I'm not one to take time for myself. Even if it is Doctor ordered. But I have to learn from this. If you don't listen to your body and take time for yourself, you will end up in the ER. And that isn't convenient for anyone.

But I'm glad to be back. And I'm so thankful for Emma taking care of Mommy's Recess last week while I was in the hospital/under the influence of LOTS of pain medications.

Mommy does need a recess. Or she will end up in the nurse's office.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...