Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Food Friday: Banana Bread like Grandma makes it!

Every year growing up my family went to Ohio for vacation to see my relatives. Traveling seemed long riding in a big van with four younger siblings and my parents for twelve plus hours (that counts stops). We would arrive at Grandma's in time for a late night snack and bed. Almost like clock work, Grandma would fix a big breakfast the next morning for us weary travelers.

I call it a Grandma breakfast: scrambled eggs with sausage, toast, oatmeal, and home made banana bread! Oh how Grandma's banana bread tastes slightly toasted and slathered with butter. Add a glass of orange juice or milk and you have a Grandma meal, the best kind!

Last night I had six over ripe bananas sitting on my kitchen counter that screamed "eat me." I guess Judah has not been asking for them as much lately, so there they sat, almost black. That is when I decided to call up mom for Grandma's banana bread recipe.

The house smelled so good with the baking bread in the oven. I know it would have tasted better at Grandma's house, especially in her company, but it was still good. And I forgotten how relatively easy it was to make.

Banana Bread

1 stick (1/2 cup) stick of butter
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons milk
optional: walnuts

Directions

Melt butter and add sugar, mixing to a cream consistency. Add eggs and bananas until completely mashed. Next, add flour, milk, and baking soda, blending thoroughly. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from pan onto rack to cool.

Can I say, YUMMY! What special recipes remind you of your grandma?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...