Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Make Monday: Make it Patriotic!

Unless you've been living under a rock (or in a cave) you know what's been going on in the world. Osama Bin Laden has been caught. Not only caught, but killed.

My children always know what is going on in the news. I'm a Fox News Junkie. When Liam was only a toddler, we'd get home from work/daycare and he'd say, "Mommy, Inna watch Fox Choose." Yeah, he's in the know. And that's a good thing. I can remember when the Challenger exploded (I was 5) but my dad MADE me watch it. He was always watching the news. And that was before 24 hour news channels!

Liam has grown up a patriot. He had to. He was my date to many political functions when his Dad was in Iraq, proudly serving his country. Liam knew that "daddy was in the sandbox making the world safe."

So this morning, when he got up, I told him that there were some Navy SEALS, guys who were kind of like Daddy but really REALLY specially trained, captured and killed Osama Bin Laden. He responded, "The guy who killed all of the people on 9/11?"

He's 5 folks. I'm impressed. When I answered in the affirmative, he responded with a "YES!" and a fist pump.

Later in the morning, I could hear him playing with his little brother Sean (2) in his room. He was playing "Super secret spy" and spying on Sean who was on the floor while Liam was perched up on the top bunk of his bunk bed.

I asked him what made him play that game. He responded, "The Navy SEALS. The guys who got Bin Laden." There were no gun sounds (I don't allow gun play) and he was using binoculars to spy.

I suppose it is equivalent to Cowboys and Indians...and after all, Bin Laden's code name was Geronimo.

I encourage you to tell your kids about what's going on in the world. And teach them about the great country we live in. After all, patriotism is important.


David, Liam and Sarah Bowman just before his deployment to Iraq.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...