Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Food Friday: Food Cookie Cutter Style!

During the Christmas Holiday season, I had all my cookie cutters out to make cookies. It was at that time too that Judah started becoming more and more picky with his food. This is coming from a kid who used to like and eat all his vegetables as a baby. Suddenly, he was voicing his opinion at the dinner table. And I was picking up thrown food and struggling to get my toddler to eat anything.

The first time I used a cookie cutter to make a design out of food, I cut out lunch meat and cheese, hoping he would eat some meat. For several months, he would not eat any meat and lived primarily on beans, eggs, and cheese. I used a train and a caboose cookie cutter. Sold. He ate the meat.

Today, we were in a hurry to get home. Judah was extremely fussy and desperately needed a nap from our morning out. I was afraid I would not get him to eat lunch since he was so tired (thus screwing up our schedule). I asked him if he wanted a train peanut butter sandwich. He responded, "caboose." Once again, the "choo choo" design saved us from lunch going completely south. Now he just needs to take a nap.

At Grandma's house, he gets airplanes. This is so easy that even Papa has made lunch so that the ladies can shop. Him and his cousin play airplanes as they eat together.

The cookie cutter idea is a creative, simple way to feed picky toddlers, especially since we moms worry about their food intake (or lack of). Reserved for special times only (or desperate times for mom) at our house, Judah still appreciates eating the bread crust as I make him eat it before he gets another train.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...