Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Shuffle Saturday: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

You're probably wondering why Shuffle Saturday was posted so late. Well, as my mom said, and I never really understood until I had children. This is why we can't have nice things.

For my birthday, we bought a netbook. It was new. It was fast. It was small enough that I could put it in my diaper bag/purse and take it to school board meetings. It had all of its keys (with small children, it's the small things) And best of all, since I'm a freelance writer, it was a tax deductible birthday present. #Winning!

But that's where the winning ends. Just this weekend, my boys broke MY new toy. They broke the part that plugs in to the computer right off. The little "male" part of the computer was broken off into the "female" part of the computer. "I can handle this," I thought. It would just take some wiggling and I can make it work.

But I couldn't. This was one "do" Mommy couldn't "un-did".

And this is why we can't have nice things.

So we went to Best Buy. I bought a Universal adapter that "would totally work with all netbooks," as the Geek Squad guy said. So sixty bucks later, we were out the door.

Yeah, it didn't. So I took it back and since I paid with my debit card, I was refunded with cash. But I did find my SAME EXACT computer, a floor model on sale for over half of what we paid for my computer brand new just two months ago.

And I thought and thought and thought. With the money I was refunded, plus a gift card I was given for my birthday PLUS a gift card my husband was given...that should come close to covering the cost for that computer. I would get a plug in that worked and my husband would get a computer with all of its keys and that wasn't super slow (we bought that laptop just before he went to Iraq...two kids ago). Yeah, that's a no brainer for me.

So we now have to brand new computers. And we're sharing a power source. But if you're looking for a "this is why we really can't have nice things" post. Stay tuned. Wash Wednesday is going to be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...