Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Make Monday: Stepping it up with a Banner!


A few weeks ago, the weather went from one nice spring day back to its usual cold, gloomy mood the next. Ready for spring, cabin fever hit Judah and I very hard. We were starting to annoy each other, fuss a lot, and getting into things.

I decided right then and there that we would do something fun and different to distract our "going crazy cooped indoors" minds and bodies. That is when I got really brave with finger painting with our feet. Yes, I said our FEET!

Judah and I unrolled a large piece of white banner paper onto the kitchen tile floor. I took a marker and wrote "Happy Birthday Dad" for daddy's upcoming surprise birthday party. Then I squirted some washable crayola finger paint on each end of the paper on either side of the words. Stripping Judah down in his sleep shirt (since we did this before we got dressed in the morning), we spent the next twenty minutes walking around on the paper with paint on our feet.

Judah and I would step in the blob of paint and walk around making colorful footprints to decorate the large banner. Next, we dipped our fingers and hands adding hand prints and other designs. Judah laughed at the funny feeling of the wet paint on his feet that made their way to the paper. This fun lasted for a while before the paint started to stick our feet to the paper.

This activity was certainly fun and distracting from another cold, winter day. The fun though soon turned into a little mess. Judah had to wait for me to clean my own hands and feet before wiping down his paint. Meanwhile, Judah was all over the paper, the kitchen tile, touching the cabinets with his hands, and stepping onto the carpet before I could catch him.

The garage was empty where we could lay the banner down to dry. Thankfully, the washable paint on the cupboards came off with baby wipes and the paint on the tile floor was easily mopped with the Swifter Wet Jet. I even just used a wet wash rag on the carpet for the paint spills. Finally, Judah and I made our way upstairs to get dressed for the day.

Daddy could not even tell we painted that day and was very surprised by his big, colorful birthday banner. Painting helped pass the time, entertaining us from effects of cabin fever. And painting on our feet enhanced our creativity and our sense of touch, adding new meanings to finger paints.

My only advice is perhaps do this activity in the garage on a warmer day. Then hose down your "little Picasso's" outside after they are done painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...