Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Tis the Season for Shedding!


I am so happy that spring is finally here. I have the windows open letting in fresh air and the sounds of birds chirping. The spring flowers are up and starting to bloom in daffodil yellows and hyacinth purples. The bright blues skies overhead shine down with the spring sunshine as we walk and play outside.

As you can see there are not too many down sides to spring, especially after a long winter except maybe tornadoes and storms, allergies, and shedding. Yes, if you have a pet, tis the season for shedding.

With the warm breezes of spring comes shedding season. My long-haired, orange cat is the perfect example of accumulating a thick coat of hair over the winter followed by dispersing it when the weather turns at the tiniest hint of spring. I have learned over the years how to cope with all the extra hair and fur bunnies that float around the house.

Perhaps the best way to cope with the extra hair removal is combing my pet on regular basis during this season. In fact, often times I take him outside to the porch and hold him down while I use my FURminator comb. This comb is excellent at taking off loose hair by the gallons. The mess of combing is contained to outdoors as I usually let the hair just float away in the breeze for the birds.

Shampooing your cat enhances the combing, limiting hair removal and eventually hairballs. My own cat does not like baths though so we wipe him down with cleaning wipes you can find in the pet store. We use these wipes after combing so that he does not rub off the loose hair onto the furniture.

Inside, I do extra vacuuming on the carpet to keep up with the hair. I wipe down the couch and chair cushions with the added task of a lint roller to collect any remaining hair. And it seems like I cycle through more laundry to control the extra fur.

I am anxious to hear what you do to combat this side effect of spring? In the meantime, enjoy the nice weather.

1 comment:

  1. We also have a long-haired orange cat. I've been noticing little orange fur puffs here and there. Short of vacuuming and brushing the furniture, we don't do too much about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...