Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Shuffle Saturday: Pick Your Battles

Ah, parenting. I understood the phrase "pick your battles" before I had children but I didn't really have to LIVE it--until I had kids.

As a kid, I hated wearing shoes...and socks. I would go barefoot all summer if I could. I practically lived at the swimming pool, that was right across the street from my childhood home. The only time I would wear shoes is when they would rock and tar the street.

I ran barefoot, rode my bike barefoot...did everything barefoot. And apparently I passed it on to my children. My middle son, Sean, HATES to wear shoes and socks. It doesn't matter if it is 90 degrees or 9 degrees outside. He is constantly kicking his shoes and socks off in the car, which usually adds a few more minutes to the trip time as we have to first find, then re dress his bare feet.



Last week, Emma and I got together for a play date. As is his fashion, Sean kicked his shoes and socks off in the van. When I got to Emma's house, I thought, 'I could put them back on him, only to take off his shoes as soon as we get in the door, or I could just carry him into the house and bring the shoes/socks in with me.' And that's what I did. Emma inquired as to why I was carrying him into the house and I explained it to her. Emma laughed and said, "Pick your battles."

I could have fought him to get his shoes and socks on...but it wasn't that big of a deal. Going to bed at bedtime? Yes. But shoes and socks? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...