Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Miscellaneous Containers in your Ktichen Cupboard.

I think every kitchen has that cupboard full of miscellaneous storage containers. I am talking about the cupboard that no seems to keep organized and when you open the door every lid and Ziplock/Glad/Tupperware container falls out.

For someone as organized like me, this cupboard is my nemesis in life. I cannot stand the mess the cupboard easily creates even after you clean it out. And if you keep it clean, I guarantee that other family members just throw the containers and lids into the cupboard when unloading the dishwasher. Then when you open the cupboard to retrieve a container and matching lid, you cringe from the disaster as well as disgusted and easily annoyed at the time spent in finding what you want. Knowing this is the only cupboard that is untidy drives you crazy as all the plates are stacked neatly away and the wine glasses are hanging in an orderly fashion. Even the pantry has a rack for the back of the door full of canned goods.

My mom's kitchen had this cupboard growing up. She even attempted to keep it organized like I am trying to do now. To no avail. Most often, I give up knowing that I would literally have to unload the dishwasher every time if I want it looking perfect. But then I reach that point where I just cannot stand it anymore or cannot find what I am looking for.

So Judah and I attempted once again to tackle the cupboard this morning. I even had him pull all the containers and lids out for me so I would not have to bend over to mess with it. We matched the lids to the containers. Then we threw out extra or old containers.

Now I face the problem of putting them back away. For the bigger lids I place in racks nailed on the cupboard doors. But what about the smaller containers and lids that seem to multiply?

In the past I have left the correct lid on each container and stacked them neatly. This does not last, however, as family members fail to follow protocol. I have used bigger containers to store smaller lids and containers. Again though, this does not last as items are just thrown into the cupboard.

Currently, my containers are sitting on top of the counter waiting for my decision. I wanted to get your thoughts though on tackling this problem. Moms, how have you solved this problem?

1 comment:

  1. Brooke from Facebook: "I read somewhere a tip to help organize food storage containers: only buy/keep one shape of containers (all circle, all square, all rectangle, whatever). That way they are easier to stack. That made sense, b/c I had 3 different shapes and... couldn't figure out how to stack it all! I've since weaned it down to just glass circular containers and rectangular plastic containers. Seems to work better so far!! And if I get low on containers it's b/c we need to have a "eat all the left-overs" night! :o)
    And my circle lids fit behind all the containers and the other lids fit under the rectangle ones! My system rarely gets messed up b/c no one else puts aways the dishes- hah!" :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...