Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Getting Every Inch of Space!

Ok, I know I have a lot of sheets...I even got two more pairs for Christmas from my mom. I guess I like new, soft sheets and the best time to get them is now during the home sales. The question is where do I put them?

It is definitely time to get rid of a few of the old pairs, especially from many washings and wear. The rest of the sets of sheets take up so much space in the linen closet. You try cramming them in without even really folding them. Then the cupboard door refuses to close and it is the last thing on your mind with kids running around until the next time you open the door and something falls out.

You laugh cause you know what I am talking about. You still have to cram in the piles of clean washcloths and towels into the linen closet. You must have space too for all the toiletries that just accumulate because of sales and necessity (if you have a lot of girls you need lots of toilet paper).

Now when I look at my stack of sheets, I remember a dear, old grandma who was loved by all around her. I personally only met her a few times, yet it left an impact. Once we stayed at the family cabin for a long weekend. She was also there in the background talking to the kids. Then time came to clean and pack up which entailed washing sheets.

This sounds crazy but imagine my amazement when she handed me a folded perfectly fitted, queen-sized sheet. At that moment I realized it can be done!!!! That is when I started practicing making folding it flat into a square with tucking in the corners neatly.

My own Grandma carefully folds her towels lengthwise and then folds them into thirds to put away in the cupboard. Her towels are lined up so neatly that it makes extra space. I tried what was so different from folding my towels in half first and then in half again.

Now there is know wrong way or right way for that matter to fold and put away towels. You could roll them up and put them in a decorative basket in the bathroom. You could just not even fold sheets but put them back on the bed.

It is fun though to learn basic skills from the ones we love to improve our own life. I even utilize the "how to make a bed" technique from my mom's young experience of working in a hotel by tucking in the bottom of the bed sheet and lifting up the sides of the sheets to make a triangle at the fold and tucking in the excess fabric.

The same is true with character. We learn from our elders. We rid of old attitudes and replace them with compassion. We practice over and over until we master character and develop perseverance in our personal, daily, lives.

Not only can we pass on life skills to our kids but values that last beyond your lifetime. So while I am still trying to practice folding my sheets, I can remember other things I need to work on as a person. Then when I have finally mastered folding the sheet and in the process gain an extra inch in my cupboard for other things, I will be making room in my heart to give and receive another inch of character.

Food for thought: How do you fold your linens?

4 comments:

  1. I don't fold my sheets at all. I just buy one set, wash them and put them back on. I found that if I stick to high thread count sheets (which are nicer anyway) they last quite a long time that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma B. had lots of great advice on laundry! How to fold a fitted sheet is one of her best tips. :) I try to fold mine that way, though they will never be as tidy as hers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to have extra sheets...especially if you have kids. I've been up washing puked on sheets at 2am and went out and bought a second pair the next day.

    I fold my towels in thirds, like your grandma does. As for sheets? I save the plastic bag they come in and when a set is washed, I try to fold them as best I can, and then cram them in the bag with a dryer sheet. That way I know they're clean and they come out smelling fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good 'ol Grandma B...she definitely had a gift for laundry. I was just showing Amber the other day how to iron, and I went back to what Grandma B. had taught me. There was always the 'right' way to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...