Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Salvation Sunday: Ye Ask Not!

Have you ever had one of those moments, where you are sure God turns on the "light bulb" in your brain regarding something so that what you notice is very clear. I had one of those epiphanies this morning thanks to my husband's help.

Most mornings, I wake up early with Judah while my husband rolls over or goes to take a shower. I must confess my resentment some mornings at the way he takes his time getting ready for work or sleeps a few extra minutes.

When you have a kid screaming before you can't even go to the bathroom. Or you just cannot make it through breakfast without a mess all over your fresh, cleaned shirt and just vacuumed floor. All you want to do is go back to bed and just start your day completely over. Right?

This morning was one of those mornings. I just dreaded to get up and even attempt life. Judah had been up during the night. I had also finally just gotten cozy it seemed like when Judah woke up. Instead of reluctantly getting out of bed, I turned over and very pathetically (but nicely) asked if Tim could get up with him while I slept a little longer.

When I did finally make it up a while later, imagine my surprise at how well my husband had things under control (good job dear). Judah was dressed for church. Tim made breakfast of homemade muffins, sausage, and eggs. And all I was expecting was quiet so that I could sleep a few extra minutes. If I had not asked him to help me, I am positive I would have woken up grumpy, fought with Judah, and resented Tim for sleeping.

How much this mirrors our spiritual life. James 4:3 says, "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."

God basically says, "You have not because you asked not." You did not ask for the peace, joy, and love that I can provide for you. You did not ask for My strength today and My provision for tomorrow. You did not ask for the eternal life I offer for free. This list goes on.

And why do we not ask? Too proud to need God or His blessings. Too anxious to wait patient for His answer and perfect time. Too disobedient to follow Him. Too busy to find time to ask. Too independent of God to fall on Him completely. Too angry with God to trust Him. Feeling too unimportant for God to notice you.

Yeah, that could be me! Every morning I resent Tim. I complain about getting up and being too tired. Sometimes, I wallow in my misery too alone and unappreciated to ask for help. Well, clearly, if I not asked for help this morning I would have missed out on sleep, breakfast, and an overall happy family. Plus, letting someone else help allows them to give once in a while.

When we do ask God, our heart opens up to not only receive the promised blessings, but to enjoy them as well. We may or may not receive tangible blessings. We WILL receive spiritual blessings starting with a better attitude!

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal - II Corinthians 4:18.

What do I need to ask God for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...