Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Cleaning out the Purse!




After Judah turned one, I stopped using the diaper bag. Instead, I found a purse that could serve dual purposes as diaper bag and a purse for my personal items. Most days, that bag is so packed tight, I feel like Mary Poppins when pull out items we need, one right after the other, in public. Spills, dirty diapers, need toys, medicine, drink, snack...the all purpose bag, right?

Today, however, I realized how desperately I needed to clean my dirty bag. I spilled hot chocolate in it the other day after a visit to the coffee shop. I have dirty tissues sitting inside. I discovered a tie from our photo session a couple of weeks ago. I found loose receipts hanging out. Dirty toys need scrubbed. Crumbs from all sorts of snacks layered the bottom. And I even found some of Judah's beloved rocks that he often stops to collect! Yuck!

Here is what else I found:
  • Wallet
  • Phone
  • Sun glasses and driving glasses
  • Pens
  • Half-used water bottle
  • Sippy cup
  • Maracas
  • Wipes
  • Diapers
  • Cars
  • Balls
  • Tylenol
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Lotion
  • Mirror
  • Brushes and combs
  • Extra clothes
  • Clips
  • Tide-to-go stick
  • Makeup brushes
  • Mirror
  • Nail clippers
  • Chap stick
  • Snack
  • Listerine
  • Finger puppet
  • Disposable bags
  • Place mats
  • Changing pad
  • Teething toys
  • Reward cards
  • Sunblock
  • Umbrella
  • Loose change
  • Notepad
...the list goes on! I dumped it all out on the table (including the crumbs). Sounds like you? It is definitely a "mommy" bag.



I decided to empty my purse/diaper bag, give it a good cleaning, and restock and repack it again for the next adventure out.

Since all the contents are emptied, I am going to wash my bag before our next trip out. Washing instructions depend on the material of the bag. I have actually ran some bags in the clothes washer before such as my real, vinyl diaper bags. You must be careful though of cardboard bottoms in bags; these you do not want immerse but wipe with a cloth. Today, I am going to soak it in a bucket of warm, soapy water with the insides hanging out. I will then hang it outside to air dry since it is warm enough. Never dry in the clothes dryer.

Once dry, I will refill it with clean, new items. The toys will get washed and probably swapped out for new ones, more age appropriate. I will replace any disposable items that are needed. I will check to make sure my wallet is functional again by ridding of old receipts and reorganizing the cards. I will check to make sure items like the nail clippers are in good, working condition. I may even add some new things that I have found myself wanting from time to time when I am out. Some items we do not use often enough and will discard (I have a quantity I carry around I do not need and will remove a few).

So before the day is done, go through your own purse. Guaranteed a surprise will be waiting for you. Emptying, cleaning, restocking, and repacking, will put you in a better position for your next outing and then you can then say, Mary Poppins to the rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...