Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tip Tuesday: Breastfeeding Babies!


Talking to my friends with new babies recently has brought back memories of breastfeeding Judah. Not that I am very experienced but that trying time sure taught me a few things about trial, error, and lots of patience along the way, enough to pass onto others.

Judah did not start out breastfeeding very well and of course the struggle with recovering from my C-Section did not help. In spite of my hopes and best efforts put forth, Judah's fed from a bottle the few days of his life. Thankfully an extra day in the hospital resulted in my milk coming in as I went home. Otherwise, attempts of feeding by then would have been that much more hard.

Judah finally settled into breastfeeding but only with a plastic shield since it was like the bottle he was used to. How embarrassing for trying to feed in public. When needed, I would pump during the night to so that Grandma could do a feeding and I could sleep. I almost gave up after four long months of feedings with the plastic shield until finally one day, Judah discovered on his own he would get a lot more without it.

Feedings suddenly got a whole lot easier. And I actually started to enjoy breastfeeding at times, especially the special bond with my child.

And now all those moments of frustration can help encourage a new mom who might be going through a hard time as well.

Perhaps what helped me the most was asking for help. The lactation nurses in the hospital helped me feel comfortable with the basics. They sent me home with an established routine plan and a phone number for any additional questions. Every few weeks, I would attend the Mommy N' Me Breastfeeding class at the hospital. There the same lactation nurses were on hand to assist with tips and answer questions. Weighing in my child before and after eased my fears of him not getting enough to eat. And having other moms nearby made me feel less alone with the unknown. This support system encouraged me to keep going and not feel ashamed.

Next, the right tools made a difference in my experience. Invest in quality nursing bras soon after your milk comes in (you never know beforehand what size to plan). Make sure they fit right, aiding in extra support to carry the extra weight. My back hurt so bad at first that it did make a difference what bras I wore. Invest in appealing, comfortable nursing clothes and blankets as they fit your needs. Judah never nursed very well in public, making a nursing cover a must needed tool. You already feel fat and tired, so pamper yourself with some new clothes. A Boppy certainly helped cradle and hold the baby but next time I would use a similar device that Velcros around your stomach (then it goes above incision). Also, research a breast pump that fits your desired needs. Personally, I bought a Swing Medela Pump to use after my milk supply decreased in the first few weeks since I was not going back to work. For the first two weeks, we rented a double Medela to help with the increase milk production. We bought the bottles new and were able to use them with the used machine. Also, wait to invest in bottles until you see what the lactation nurses recommend as various styles work differently. The baby will also tell you what kind of bottles it needs depending on its needs and preferences.

Finally, taking care of yourself is so crucial. I remember as a new mom, I felt that I needed to have things back to normal as soon as possible. Well, I soon learned that breastfeeding exerts a lot of energy that in turn requires a healthy diet, rest, and lots of water. If you have problems with producing milk, then try to eat oatmeal. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins. Make sure to sleep when baby sleeps (it is encouraged). And lastly, do not be afraid to ask your doctor, pharmacist, and lactation nurse about other drugs that might express themselves in your milk supply.

The bottom line is do not go this alone if you experience problems or frustration. Breastfeeding can be intimidating for a new mom bringing on all sorts of joy, fear, shame, and discouragement. At one time or another, we have all been there and so we can encourage each other along the way. Hang in there and do not give up.

PS. Our own Sarah Bowman is part of the Leche League if you have any further questions.

2 comments:

  1. Also, do not be ashamed of breastfeeding the baby in public. You wouldn't expect someone to eat their dinner in a bathroom, so why should you feed your baby in one? I always keep a copy of the Iowa Code that supports a woman's right to breastfeed on me at all times. Just in case a misinformed person approaches me while nursing.

    Iowa Code § 135.30A (2002) a woman may breastfeed the woman's own child in any public place where the woman's presence is otherwise authorized.

    If you do not live in Iowa, you can find your state's laws here.

    http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here is an article I wrote about lactation cookies. They taste great AND increase milk supply!

    http://www.suite101.com/content/increase-breast-milk-production-while-pumping-a293631

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...