Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Make Monday: The Martha Stewart Mirage

I'm a work at home mom. I write political articles and take care of my kids. I'm lucky that when I need complete concentration, I can take my boys to Grandma's house (which I do almost daily). But I got to thinking, if I'm working from home, I can be like Martha, right?

Ha. First of all, through my facebook couponing group I was able to get a free subscription to Martha Stewart Living magazine. Step one of becoming Martha, done.

And then after getting all of the laundry folded at 10 PM on Sunday night (it's a glamorous life, I know) I crawled into bed and paged through the magazine.

Oh. My. BORING. I'm so glad it was free. And I still think I paid too much. "Apple and raisin blonde scones". Really, Martha? For when. Cause I don't know of anyone who has friends over for tea. I found the "make your own pop up Valentine's day cards" highly amusing. I can hardly get the kids to write out their pre-printed dollar store Toy Story cards without someone spilling, ripping or sneezing on them. Fancy cut out pop up cards? You've GOT to be kidding me.

What really cracked me up is the $800 upholstered chair for your bedroom. Not for sitting, just for decoration. First of all, Martha, at the end of the day, I'm exhausted. If there's a place to land, I'm landing on it. Whether it's intent is for my butt or not. And what's the point of having a chair you CAN'T sit in? Isn't that what chairs are for? I can imagine my mom going cross eyed if I had glasses sitting out on the table and said, "Oh no, mom. Those aren't for drinking out of, they're just nice to look at."

Maybe I'm a little more realistic than Martha. Maybe I'm busier. I just don't have time to "grind a cinnamon stick in the morning to add to my coffee". Whatever comes out of the Dunkin Donuts bag is fine for me. Usually I don't get to drink it while it's hot anyway.




So yes, if you visit my home you'll see a Martha Stewart Living magazine on my nightstand. Just don't assume I have a fresh sprig of eucalyptus in the tank of my toilet to make the water smell good. (I may have made that last one up.)

I'm a realistic mom. I don't have time for the artsy fartsy stuff. And you know what? "It's a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...