Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Shuffle Saturday: Gestational Diabetes

Like many Americans, I had to change and adjust my diet but for gestational diabetes. That is right, with this second pregnancy, I failed my glucose screening tests, both the 1 hour and the 4 hour tests, making me fall into the 10% of pregnant women who have gestational diabetes.

With Judah, I was borderline diabetic, passing the second test at the hospital by only one. I was told to watch my diet. And with Judah, I did drop all major carbohydrates like pastas because I simply did not feel well. I even drank a lot of lemon water to help with swelling.

This time around, I failed the test by two and with the new testing rules, I definitely have gestational diabetes. I knew going into the tests that I did as similar symptoms with Judah occurred faster and more furious earlier in the pregnancy. I had already dropped the carbohydrates like major pasta dishes and any kind of sweets. I also was cutting back on sodium as it seemed to have a direct effect on swelling.

I failed my glucose screening right before Christmas and it was over the Holiday season that I went through training, consulted with professionals, and even learned how to do my insulin shot. Talk about timing. I wanted to cry when I got the results from my test prior to Christmas and the nurse told me to stay away from Christmas cookies. Are you kidding me? I had not even had any sweets or pastas or anything fun to eat for that matter since before Thanksgiving. Bah Humbug to the Diabetic Grinch. And so much for those Christmas cookies I had been craving for over a month (and I did make them without eating them).

I have learned that in spite our best efforts at diet change, sometimes our bodies just need a little help. This does not mean we are doing anything wrong. The biggest adjustment though is just that, changing your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle to monitor your sugar levels, adjusting your diet within healthy means, and reducing stress in other areas of your life.

This journey has taught me a lot and I would like to pass on some of my ideas down the road - so stayed tuned for some recipes I have found and invented. Other pregnant moms, like myself, just want quick, simple, healthy recipes and snack ideas to get us through the day. Our lives are already crazy as it is with kids running around, managing a household, and being pregnant in our third trimester. So let's stick together moms and know you are not alone counting carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...