Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Toy Thursday: The Breastfeeding Baby Doll

Have you heard about the breastfeeding baby doll? If not, here's a link.

According to the news reports I've read, the doll comes with a halter top for the mommy with two flower blossoms where nipples would be. When you hold the baby up to the flowers, it makes a suckling noise. The doll has been a best seller in Europe and is now just coming to America.

And some people are furious about this. They claim we're sexualising our young girls with this doll. Really? I've breastfed all three of my boys and there is nothing sexual about breastfeeding.

Secondly, what's more sexualising to young girls? This doll or those Hooker Bratz dolls that show girls how to dress like members of the show "Jersey Shore"? Come on, America. It's time to wake up.

When Liam (now 5) was 2, I bought him a Cabbage Patch Doll. Some family members weren't too pleased that I was buying my boy a doll. My thinking? A boy with a doll teaches him how to be a good father. I'm pretty sure my father in law wanted to melt into the floor when Liam noticed the bottle that came with the baby, tossed it aside and lifted his shirt to feed his baby. That was classic.

The doll says it teaches girls to “express their love and affection in the most natural way possible, just like mommy!” And I don't see anything wrong with that. If more little girls saw more women breastfeeding and had this doll, maybe our dependence on formula would disappear, along with a slew of allergies, medical problems and possibly even childhood obesity.


Now, I probably won't buy this doll for my boys, but if I had a little girl, I'd be the first one in line getting it for her. More girls need to learn to breastfeed so it comes naturally (as it should) when they become mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...