Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tip Tuesday: Braving the Pool-Trust

I'm convinced my husband and I are part fish. I grew up across the street from our City Pool, swam in our swim team from the age of 7 and was a lifeguard and swim coach in high school. I have always loved the water.

My husband swam for Lincoln High School (Des Moines) in high school. So it would be natural that we would have kids who love the water, right? Wrong.

Our oldest and our baby are little fish. Our middle son dislikes the pool...but he's warming up.

I've found the full body suits (with the floaters in the front and back) are the best for my boys. My oldest is fearless when it comes to the pool, which, as a former lifeguard, scares me a bit. I have to keep my eyes on him at all times.

The baby is so easy going...and he loves to splash and dunk his own head. But the middle guy, he's just not that into it.

My husband has the "just toss him in" theory, but being a former swim instructor, I know what works. You have to let the kid do it at his OWN pace...with some encouragement. It helps that he has an older brother he watches...and wants to be like.

If you have a toddler who isn't fond of the pool, start slow. Sit on the edge with him/her and let them put their feet in. Have fun splashing and kicking (more the kid than you). Then let them take one step in, all while holding your hand. Trust is key. If you push them in the water and scare them, they won't trust you and they'll hate the pool.

If they want to sit on the edge, on the deck, not get in the pool..don't force them.




Always hang on to them...never let them go...unless they want you to. It's about trust. You want your kids to trust you. Whether it is in the pool or out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...