Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shuffle Saturday: Lifeguards ARE NOT Babysitters

I am sick and tired of it. I'm tired of parents blaming other people. Maybe I'm still angry about the Casey Anthony verdict. Maybe I'm just plain fed up with people pointing fingers. But place blame where blame is due.

A death of a child is always a sad thing. Always. And I don't want to cause any unnecessary pain or hurt to parents who have lost children. I guess it just makes me angry when people are always so willing to lay blame on others, rather than taking it upon themselves.

Recently, a five year old drowned in a city pool in our town. And when I read that, my heart ached. That child is the same age as my oldest. And my son is fearless when it comes to the pool and water. However, I ALWAYS make sure he has the swimmie vest on AND I (or my husband) are with him AT. ALL. TIMES.

On my facebook, I shared the link how the child had died and wrote, "So sad. He's the same age as Liam. As a former lifeguard, I know they cannot watch EVERY child in the water. PLEASE, if you take your kids swimming, watch them AT ALL TIMES."

A family member responded, "I agree! Those Life Guards also need to remember the purpose of their job."

Um, no. Parents need to remember their jobs. I responded with, "Lifeguards aren't babysitters. If you want a babysitter, hire one."

I was a lifeguard for two summers at our city pool. I can't even begin to tell you how often we were used as a babysitter. Lifeguards ARE NOT babysitters. We are lifeguards. Still, that didn't stop parents from dropping their kids off at the pool at noon and picking them up at 6.

If we had to close the pool due to weather, forget about it. These kids had no where to go because, "mom and dad are at work and we're supposed to stay here until they come and get us." Great. And then there were the kids who were banned from the pool for a few days-weeks at a time for behavior. When the parents found out, they came down and chewed us out with "What am I to do with him/her during the day? I have to work! You should do your job and watch my kid swim!" Maybe if they'd discipline their child like they did the lifeguards, their kid wouldn't have been kicked out for behavior issues in the first place. Just sayin.




And yes...that is me...three babies and 14 years ago.

SO here's the deal. Lifeguards were not there when the child was conceived. You do not pay them an hourly rate for each child they watched. More people would go into lifeguarding if that was the case. Yes, it is their job to watch the kids and keep them safe. BUT, it is YOUR job as a parent to watch your child AT ALL TIMES.

It's time for people to stop placing blame and start taking responsibility. Lifeguards are not babysitters, parents need to be held responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...