Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shuffle Saturday: Chore Cooperation!

When I was growing up, I slept in like any usual teenager. I would finally wake up to a quiet house, walk downstairs for breakfast, and find a note lying on the kitchen table. The note was always that dreaded "to do" chore list with a short note from our parents saying that they would be back shortly after running a few errands. And while they were gone, we needed to vacuum, dust, and unload the dishwasher among many others.

While most families grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons, other families got ready for that Saturday soccer tournament. And we had seasons where we did just that. However, I remember at our house growing up, Saturday mornings meant those dreaded chores and it seemed like a lot of them.

This begs the question, when do you do your chores at your house? or run errands?

Most Saturdays now, we run our errands in the morning and come home to rest in the afternoon. It is not until after we rest that we start working on some things around the house that require all our cooperation.

Occasionally, we have a "to do" list or a project that demands our attention most of the day. For example, last weekend, my husband shampooed and vacuumed the carpet in the house. He also changed the toilet seat lids with new ones. Most of these big projects are easier to do when daddy is home on the weekends.

As far as daily chores, I like to get those done during the weekdays and early evenings so as to free up our weekends for family fun. I have learned that those dreaded chores are easier to do in late afternoons when energies and mood levels tend to peak, doing a little at a time each day. By four o'clock in the afternoon, everyone needs to work out some energy, including the kids. You are able to accomplish more together with this excess energy. And that is when I start supper, put in my daily load of laundry, and tidy a bit around the house.

But I am not perfect. In fact, I did not do my dishes last night which means I have more to do tonight. Hmmm....better go do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...