Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tip Tuesday: Need Envelopes?


When I was in college, I worked in a scrap book and stamp store. Talk about the coolest job ever. I learned many techniques, skills, and acquired a lot of neat ideas from the owners. One neat tip I inherited was where to get envelopes for all my home made cards.

Did you know that most card companies throw away random envelopes?

After the craft store job, I worked at a book store. Our retail items also included shelves of cards for sale. As part of my job, I had to keep the cards organized and restocked. You will be surprised to discover how many people actually buy the card without the envelope, thus producing an excess of random envelopes. And since every card comes with its corresponding envelope, what can you do with the extra but throw them out.

Another friend several years later who worked for Hallmark stocked the brand new cards for each season at the local department store. When I approached her about the extra envelopes, she confirmed that indeed they just get thrown away. She mentioned that she did however saved a few time to time for teachers to use for class room projects. I asked her then if she could set a few aside for me to use with my home made cards. And did she save them for me, all those leftover envelopes in different colors, shapes, and sizes. She even gave me some gift bags that did not sell.

As you can see in the picture above, I am well stocked with envelopes for life. Since I Recycle Cards, I can certainly use the extra envelopes. After I make a card from card stock, I just open up my drawer and pull out an envelope to go with it.

So the next time you need envelopes, find the clerk who organizes the cards at your local department store or gift shop. Usually these retail clerks work for the companies directly and have scheduled hours in the store for stocking (ask about it). Inquire politely too see what they do with the leftover envelopes. Should they throw them out, ask then if you can recycle and reuse them. At the very least, you are saving a few trees and some money!



For more frugal tips, visit Learning the Frugal Life.

1 comment:

  1. Great tip! I'm a preschool teacher and I've gotten quite a few envelopes in my days, free from my local Hallmark lady. That lady happened to be my aunt, but she has since retired. It's good to know that there are random envelopes available out there and that my aunt wasn't just being polite to her niece.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...