Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tip Tuesday: Recycle Cards!


There are still a few people out there that send cards in the mail wishing warm sentiments to family and friends. A handwritten note is almost a lost art in this age of quick emails and texts. Even more rare is a home made card expressing your friendship and love for the special occasion or just because.

Perhaps that is why like most people, I save those few cards I receive from loved ones. And few people with the exception of my grandma even send out cards on a daily basis with news from home.

A few years ago, my third grade teacher, knowing that I rubber stamp home made cards, cleaned out years and years of collected holiday cards. I tore off the insides of the cards and saved the remaining pictures on the front to recycle into new home made cards.

I still do that today. I keep the note in my archived momentos, tearing off the front for further creativity to strike. I then throw them into a drawer in my craft closet for my next card making day.

Using my stamps, odds and ends ribbons and fabrics, and embellishments, I come up with a whole new card. Reducing the amount of store bought cards at almost $5.00 a card, I instead recycle fun designs and scenic pictures off of cards. I stamp a saying inside and bingo, I have a brand new and blank card.

People cherish the few minutes it took to actually make a hand made card and write a note. In the process you save money buying cards for celebrations and holidays. And you also recycle tons of paper, saving a few trees along the way.


And for an avid scrapbooker, you save money on a ton of stamps and embellishments by using resources within reach. The sky is the limit as you learn to be creative with what you have. I love setting out cut out cards and thinking of a new designs with what I already have, almost like a challenging puzzle.

Sometimes, I splurge on cheap blank cards in the dollar section at Target and Michael's for gluing on these recycled items. Other times, I use card stock from the copy paper you can find in the office store (you do not need acid free for cards unless you are using photos). I then add ribbons, cheap brads, or leftover stamps items from a previous project. Other times, I punch out an object or use a lost button for an additional embellishment.

For more frugal tips, visit Learning the Frugal Life Tip Tuesday.

5 comments:

  1. Fellow scrapper here. Love this post! Aren't nice cards outrageously priced at the store? THank you for joining the Frugal Tuesday Tip! http://juliecache.com/2011/07/12/frugal-tuesday-tip-25-and-the-cow-laughed/.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! I have been feeling the urge to start making my own cards. Using old cards is a fabulous idea and makes it seem not so intimidating. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save old cards and turn them into new gift tags. I have a tag punch that I use to make the tags with. I bought it a few years ago at Hobby Lobby with a 50% off coupon. It has been well worth the money spent. I have not bought tags for gifts in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Melissa - I had not thought of that. I make my gift tags with little stamps I have, cutting them into circles or squares. This sounds like a good idea though using even the smallest designs on cards. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen that sometimes you can carefully take out the white middle part of a card and reuse the whole thing?! I had a couple wedding cards that I was able to do that with, it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...