Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Reuse Home Items for Cleaning


Sometimes I find that certain household items work better or even more better for other things other than what they were intended. Then I also find that being resourceful with what you have around the house can solve several other household problems eliminating the need for an expensive alternative.

What I am trying to get at is that I find that certain cleaning tools simply do not work. Too big, too awkward, too scratchy, too clumsy...nothing frustrates you more than not having the correct tools to get the job done. With experience I tried other items you would not normally think to use for cleaning but you soon realize they are more efficient and thorough. And I know we all like a clean house (even though it is unheard of with kids, right?).

Here are some examples of some items you would not normally think of using as cleaning tools.

Toothbrushes. First, I like to recycle our old, worn toothbrushes for those hard to reach, small cracks that need to be clean. A good example is scrubbing the toothbrush back and forth underneath the bathroom sink faucet to remove soap scum. I have also used the toothbrush to aid in cleaning food spills among the cracks around the stove top and oven. Just make sure that once used to clean, the toothbrush is not used on the teeth.

Kitchen Handled Scrub Brushes. Second, I like to recycle our long handled kitchen brushes to scrub the toilets. The handles are smaller for my hand making it easier to handle. The brushes are tougher and just the right size to reach under the lip of the toilet bowl getting those hard to reach bacteria infestations.

Automotive Sponges. Third, I like to buy automotive sponges you use to wash a car. What for? The larger surface of the sponge helps to clean the shower and tub faster with less the amount of elbow grease needed with a regular sponge. And if the sponge is safe on a car, it should be safe on the shower surface.

Do not be limited by the use of a tool. Think outside the box about what works for you and gets the job done. And let me hear your ideas on being more efficient with the right tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...