Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tip Tuesday: Dealing with Morning Sickness.

So it is official - I am 20 weeks pregnant. Yes, this does explain why all my posts lately have been full of grammar errors more so than usual. This also explains why my co-author Sarah has been doing the bulk of the posts...because most days I have been too tired chasing my toddler around or I just finished throwing up my lunch.

Just like with Judah, I experienced morning sickness throughout my whole first trimester. In fact, I knew instantly when I was pregnant. One day I started feeling nauseous and the thought of any food seemed repulsive.

When you feel nauseous, nothing sounds good to eat. Your husband, like my sweet husband, has to literally cook all the food and clean up afterwards. As with me, any turn of the head with one (but the wrong) sniff of smell would send me running to the sink.

Even Judah caught on by plugging his own little nose and mouth with his hand calling things stinky. He also would go to the sink with me and pretend to cough. And when my diet became picky, Judah's diet also changed.

Morning sickness is never fun to go through. You feel just yucky all the time, ready to throw up at a moments notice. The only foods you can get down are the ones that sound remotely good and do not require a lot of chewing. Simple things like brushing your teeth, washing the dishes, and changing a dirty diaper suddenly seem like a huge production.

Going through morning sickness twice, I have learned a few tips along the way that at least lessens the bad feelings and yucky tastes. Luckily with Judah, I could lay down all the time.

Here is what I do for morning sickness. Please as with anything before trying talk to your own doctor about what is best for your situation.

1. Try chewing gum after you eat. This helps clean the teeth from leftover food particles that make you want to gag. Chewing gum also helps curb the bad after tastes that seem to penetrate your mouth and make you nauseous.

2. Try taking Unisom sleeping tablets offset with B-6 vitamins. Unisom can be bought over the counter and helps with nausea. The B-6 allows your food to be converted into the energy. With Judah I took two B-6 tablets during the day and a Unisom tablet right before bed throughout my whole pregnancy.

3. For a quick boost in energy and carbohydrates to curb the onslaught of nausea, try eating saltine crackers. Even more so, try eating saltine crackers when you wake up in the morning and before you get out of bed.

4. Snack before you go to sleep. In taking some extra protein (like Greek yogurt) lessens the nausea when you wake up.

5. Eat small meals more often. Personally, I have used Ensure to supplement my diet when I need a snack on the go.

Share your own experiences on dealing with morning sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...