Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Salvation Sunday: Facing the Storm

I recently found this neat kids devotional book for Judah. Based on songs, you read a verse and a short story to match the song you just listened to. One morning, we attempted to read the verse for the day (as we call it) and found the story of Noah and the ark.

The story is so well known with God protecting Noah, his family, and the animals on the ark while rain flooded the earth. Another common aspect of the story is that God asked Noah to build the ark and in spite all odds and persecution, he obeyed God. Still, the story of salvation is clear as God provided the only way to life for Noah and his family through the safety of the ark paralleling the picture of eternal life through Jesus Christ.

This devotional though had a different take on Noah and the Ark, one that I had not heard in my many sermons.

Imagine the storms of life in the context of the flood. We weather storms in our journey through life. Storms with lighting, rain, and wind. These storms come at us in floods tossing us on fierce waves.

Now imagine the ark being our relationship with God. The Bible talks about God being our refuge. II Samuel 22:3 says, "my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior..." Psalm 46:1 also states, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." The ark is the perfect example of finding refuge in God.

God literally encloses us inside the ark to protect us. We can find our safety from daily storms and tossing waves there. The place of safety is found in God alone. He will help you weather life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...