Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Salvation Sunday: The Defying Attitude

One has to look no further than a two year old to see "sin nature" at its best. Defiance is the name of the game.

My own two year old son is definitely in this stage right now. In the midst of curiosity and independence, he is exploring this attitude of "my way." Among things this includes not listening, not obeying, and giving me a look or attitude of defiance. Sound familiar?

It is hard not to lose my patience (and my mind) some days. I just get so frustrated at the lack of listening and follow through. In fact, he almost appears to do the opposite of what I say. I have to remind him that sometimes mommy is telling him no for reasons due to safety.

On these occasions, I am reminded of my own heart in relation to God. I am not exempt in this defiance attitude. My two year old self comes out at times in life. God instructs. We hear but not obey. And then we turn the other way until consequences and pain inflict themselves upon us.

Thankfully, God is a lot more patient and loving than I (we) deserve. Take for example of the Israelites history in the Old Testament. Time and time again God provided and loved expecting only obedience in return. How many times did the Old Testament nation fall again and again in disobedience and defiance only to be picked back up and loved once more.

Guess I need a lesson in regards to my two year old self. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...