Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wash Wednesday: Washing those Hands Away

Tis the season for dry hands. And if you are a mom with small kids, you are washing your hands constantly.....after dirty diapers, wet spit up, filthy dishes, germ filled laundry, muddy shoes, runny noses, unkind cleaning supplies, and the list goes on.

My hands are naturally dry to begin with. Every year at this time, my hands literally crack and bleed because they are so dry. My knuckles and wrists become wrinkled while my nails sport hang nails.

And then you add on top life of a mom. Hands tell a lot about your work ethic. When I am with my grandma, I always wonder all the things her wrinkled hands accomplished to care for her family.

Well, let's just say being a mom is hard on your hands. And pausing to take care of yourself is about as abnormal as soft hands. And at the end of the day, your bleeding knuckles look horrible and hurt even more. And hand sanitizer usually adds to the sting.

So what do we do? I have been trying to come up with ways to squeeze some time into my already packed schedule just to take care of my hands. I would appreciate any ideas you may have fellow moms.

In the meantime, I have placed my favorite Aveeno therapy lotions at each sink so that after each wash I grab a little bit. At my husbands request, I also put hand soap at each sink instead of using dish soap to wash my hands. I try to dry thoroughly with a soft towel especially around the wrist area to prevent chapped hands. I also have started carrying my chap stick around for constant use.

Speaking of, I better go put on some lotion now. Good luck hands! After all, you do a lot!

1 comment:

  1. My mom is a nurse and is always washing her hands. She's also very frugal and insists on hand washing her dishes. Winter does a number on her hands. She swears by Bag Balm and gloves at night. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...