Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Salvation Sunday: Mary Spirit in a Martha World!

I am a lot like my Grandma....neat, clean, organized. I am more like my Grandma than my own mom. Sometimes all you have to do is watch someone else to know that you do the same thing; that is how I am with my Grandma. We went to my Grandma's house for Thanksgiving week this year. As usual, she cooked for us, cleaned up after us, and pampered us even though she moves a lot slower than I remember.

This year it was especially fun to watch her and Judah interact. Judah followed her around like a shadow talking to her and showing her his toys. They watched many videos together and played together. It was when Grandma would be washing the dishes and Judah would make his way into the kitchen to get Grandma back into the living room that particularly caught my attention. Grandma would follow him back out to the living room and then stand for a minute before returning to finish washing her dishes by hand (without help of course). The disappointment on Judah's face was pretty clear as he would walk back into the kitchen asking for "Ma, please, please."

This reminded me not only of myself but of the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible. You remember the one where Mary sits at the feet of Jesus to listen to him and Martha is frantically running around trying to prepare for her dinner guests. How often am I like Martha, busy with what life throws at me, that not only am I missing out on special moments with my son but God as well.

Luke 10: 38-41

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed.f Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Judah could not have reminded me any better on what is important. Lord, help me to discern when to work and when to stop and enjoy life with you and your blessings.

1 comment:

  1. We Marthas get mighty lonely in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...