Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tip Tuesday--Black Friday Countdown and Tips

10 Days and Counting....

I enjoy saving money. I almost turn it into a game. All year, I stock up on the "free gift card" deals. You know, the buy two boxes of diapers and get a $10 gift card? I always have coupons for diapers, so I'm getting the things I need at a deal price and then I tuck the cards away and treat myself to a little Black Friday spending spree...mostly getting toys and clothes for the kids for Christmas.

Even though I am one of those crazy people who gets up at 2 AM (or doesn't even go to bed the night before), I enjoy it. No one cares if you're wearing makeup, if your hair looks good or even that you're in your sweats. I find it's a fun "mommy time" for me. I usually treat myself to a Starbucks to energize me and off I go.

But there's always a game plan. I watch Black Friday Info and  Black Friday Net almost all year round, since the deals they post are not just for black Friday. I spend Thanksgiving with the in laws and while they watch a movie, I'm usually scouring over the ads and making a plan. It's fun!
 
Here are a few tips to make your Black Friday shopping a fun and successful time.

1. Make a game plan. Know what times stores open and make a "route plan" according to that. Hit the earlier stores when they open, and if there's only one item you want at a particular store, hold off. Get the majority of what you want first. That way you get the deals you planned on and really want.

2. Make a list. AND KEEP TO THE LIST. I know it may be tempting to grab items you didn't plan on buying, but you're setting yourself up for buyer's remorse (and bank account shock).

3. STICK to your budget. If you've budgeted $300 for gifts, stay under $300.

4. Don't get sucked in by the "deals".  Many stores are offering a $10 gift card when you spend $100.  Think to yourself, was I planning on spending $100 at that store? If not, why shop there. If you can get $100 worth of items for $70, shop at the other store. It's all about comparing prices and shopping around.

5. Be comfortable. Wear your sweats. No one cares. Everyone looks like a walking zombie the day after Thanksgiving. It might also be helpful to take band aids in your purse. Yes, band aids. People get a little crazy with the carts and occasionally bump you in the heels.

6. Rest up the remainder of the day. You've exerted a lot of energy in the hours you're usually asleep. You've come in contact with a lot of people and a lot of germs. The last thing you need/want is to be sick. When you get home in the mid-morning/late afternoon, take a nap.

Enjoy your Black Friday shopping, and if you see me out there, wave "Hello"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...