Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Salvation Sunday: Recharging Your Spirit

I notice, quite often, that spirituality can be like a battery. And just like a battery, it needs recharging. When I was a kid, our Church was on my walk home from school. At times when I felt my spirit was low, I would often stop in the Church and say a prayer or two. It made me feel like my spirit battery was recharged. I'm finding that it seems to be a little bit harder to charge my spirit. Maybe it's the daily pressures and stresses that I, as an adult, now face. Whatever it may be, by spirit battery still needs charging. The last thing I want is for it to go to empty.

This weekend we travelled back to my hometown for my son's baptism. We are having all of our children baptised at the same Church I was baptised at and where we were married. Makes for easier record keeping.

On Saturday my Parents suggested we go to Mass at St. Patrick's on Cedar, a Church out in the middle of the country. I was excited.  I love that Church. It's old (as in has no bathrooms it's so old), it's in the middle of the country and it has history. I needed a recharge of my Spirit, as I was feeling a bit low.

I find that going back to my roots helps to ground me. Maybe that's why it helps to recharge my spiritual battery. St. Patrick's is an Irish Catholic Church, located at the intersection of gravel road and gravel road, surrounded by acres of farmland. It has a small cemetery on the grounds behind the Church. My Great-Great Grandfather Mike Gormally is buried there.

To me, nothing grounds me more and recharges my spirit than Catholic Mass at an old Church next to a farm field. My roots. I am from a family of Iowa farmers. No matter how long I live in the city, the fresh country air and dark black Iowa soil is my home.


I snapped this picture on our way in to Church. St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Cedar. My Spirit Charger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...