Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Shuffle Saturday: Depression is Not a Dirty Word, Part II

Tis that time of year for most people to have the winter blues. And even though the weather has been generously nice this year, I still sense a lot of friends who seem "down and out" depressed. Depression can be hard to shake but rest assured you can shake it with a little help. I am proof of that.

Most people do not know that I suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder right after Judah was born almost three years ago. Anytime someone feels like they are going to die as in my case when my blood pressure took a nosedive in post Cesarean recovery, you can develop symptoms of stress.

I had experienced depression before. The symptoms remain the same: extreme fatigue, feeling trapped in a spiral downturn with little room for air, irrational thoughts, dark and anxious, emotionally unstable, and the inability to want to do any of your favorite things with your favorite people. Sound familiar. Even my co-author has told her story about depression in part one.

This time Post Traumatic Stress seemed different. I could not sleep and became extremely irritable and anxious. I discovered I would have panic attacks every time I closed my eyes to go to sleep. If I did fall asleep, when I woke up and felt disoriented as to where I was, I would have another panic attack. On top of that I experienced post partum depression because I felt like I could not take care of my baby in this manner. Not fun.

Thankfully I was surrounded by people who loved and cared for me. I realized that you do not need to feel ashamed about getting help or feel guilty for being like this. At some point in our lives, I believe we all go through this. And if managed correctly, we come out on the other side better people.

Here are a few tips that worked for me in coping with stress, anxiety, and depression. I have been through it and know it sucks. I pray that you may find the peace and hope you desperately need during this time as a result of knowing that you are not alone in coping.

1. Seek help immediately. Your loved ones need to be aware of what is going on. And do not be afraid to ask for professional help when needed such as a pyschologist or doctor who prescribe medicine. The longer you wait for help, the harder it will be to cope and come out of depression.

From my previous experience with depression, I immediately saw the symptoms the second time and sought help almost within a few weeks of it starting. I also knew the anxiety was different and so professional help was able to help me figure out what the problem was and how to handle it right away. I know the journey would have been longer and harder had I not admitted I needed help right away.

2. Avoid additional stress. Reduce added stress in your life for a while. Remove all other distractions from your daily schedule. One of the best things I did the first time I was depressed, thanks to the advice of a friend, was limit my daily schedule to only necessary things that had to be done. I also removed those things that seemed to agitate me more until a later time of healing.

3. Take time for yourself. Try to do something for yourself that you think is fun or sounds fun no matter how simple it is. After the baby was born, my family, at the advice of my doctor, tried to get me out of the house on occasions without the baby to prove that life goes on.

4. Set small goals for yourself without expecting huge, immediate results. At one point, I literally had to set goals to get through parts of the day. When my husband went back to work, I had to know exactly when he would come home for lunch and I would focus on getting through those few hours before thinking about the rest of the day when I would start the process over. Also, we learned that certain sights and smells can trigger certain emotions. To counter that, we rearranged the furniture and slept in a different room for a while. Over time, the emotions became less and less as life returned to normal.

5. Pray and Pray. About a year ago, I talk about the power of God when dealing with depression. Please read "Do not be Afraid." Without God, I would never have come out of my anxiety. This is perhaps the most important tip to cope with anxiety.

Again, realize you are not alone. You do not have to feel guilty for feeling this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...