Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Food Friday: King Cakes for Mardi Gras

When I worked at Principal, I always volunteered to be the floor coordinator for the JDRF fundraiser. As a fundraiser, we would make King Cakes, serve them on Mardi Gras and raise money for a great cause. Plus it was always fun to see who got the baby and was the King or Queen of Mardi Gras. The traveling crown and scepter was a hoot.

I learned how to make the King Cakes (and would make them ahead of time the weekend before) and needless to say, my first attempt did not turn out the greatest. My cake pieces sold last (but they were still super tasty) because they weren't the prettiest cakes ever made. My kitchen was covered in flour, powdered sugar and our small dining room table had been taken over by King Cakes.

I used this recipe from Emeril and was surprised at how easy it was...the second year. Always make sure you add the cream cheese filling (strawberry cream cheese is my favorite) to make it not as dry and super tasty.


Enjoy on Tuesday, but remember...Ash Wednesday is the next day. Make sure you're not on a sugar high and can make it to Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...