Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wash Wednesday: Cleaning WITHOUT Chemicals

In yesterday's post, I explained how fresh lemons and limes can be used as decoration...but don't just toss them out! You can use them to clean! Yes, cleaning WITHOUT chemicals. It's the best. And since you've already bought the fruit for "decorations" it's a bonus. No other expensive chemicals to buy! And it's the best for your family (especially if you have small children)!

After the lemons lost their color and needed to be replaced, it was time for my kitchen sink to get a good scrub down. I plugged the sink and I cut up the lemons. I took the end pieces to scrub the gunk off of the sink (stuck on soap) and was amazed that the lemon rind was even taking the water spots off of the faucet. It took almost zero elbow grease to work up the stuck on stuff (the soap sticky under the dispenser) and smelled great.

When I was done, I put all of the lemon (and lime) rinds in the sink and boiled some water in my teapot. I poured the boiling water in the sink with the leftover decorations and scrubbers (aka lemons and limes) and let it sit. It made the whole house smell like fragrant citrus.



When the water had cooled, I picked the larger pieces out of the sink and put them in the garbage where they continued their work to make the trash actually smell good! With two in diapers, that is saying a lot!

I allowed the smaller rinds to go down the garbage disposal and it helped "unstink" the disposal as well.

While I haven't tried this, I did find that you can even use lemons to clean your bathtub!

So why buy chemicals (seriously, next time read the ingredients on your cleaner...you can choose that...or just lemons and hot water) that smell "like" lemons when you can use the REAL thing...and no harmful chemicals??

How have you used natural items for cleaning?? Please share in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Something I learned when we got our Pergo laminate flooring was that to clean them you can mix 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of vinegar. I have found this to be more effective than other floor cleaners and is cheaper to buy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...