Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Monitoring those Contractions!

At 38 weeks pregnant, yes, I have had a few contractions. Nothing major yet. I remember though when I was pregnant with Judah having contractions and trying to keep track of them.

My husband was a very nice support system the first time around (and is now too). It was on Wednesday afternoon when I started having contractions after a short nap that I had taken. I patiently waited until he came home from work and immediately we started timing them as they became more intense and regular.

Somewhere we had found this really neat tool that allowed us to time our contractions and monitor their regularity. So my husband had his computer nearby opened to Contraction Master. Throughout the evening he would wait for me to say when a contraction was starting and then hit the space bar. The timer would start and he would then hit the space bar again as soon as the contraction was over.

By the time we went into the hospital at 3:00am, we had several sheets printed off of contraction records which had finally gotten to 1 minute long every five minutes for several hours. This made it easy on the hospital staff as they immediately assumed their roles.

The web site made it so much easier to time contractions. While we timed them, we simply stayed relaxed and watched several movies. I had my homemade heating pack (old sock filled with rice that had been microwaved) and sat with my feet up.

And my husband (who loves technology) felt like part of the process with his timer keeping track of those contractions. It was his contribution to the process.

As a side note, review with your doctor when you need to go to the hospital. Instances where your water breaks, regular, intense contractions for 1 minute, every five minutes, for over an hour are reasons to seek medical help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...