Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Salvation Sunday: Change my Stubborn Heart!

Lately, I have been reading in the Bible book of Ezekiel as part of my devotions. It just seemed fitting after reading history about the Kings of Judah and Israel from King David to the exile in Babylonia in I & II Kings and I & II Chronicles. Having never really read it all the way through, I have found it to be quite interesting and perhaps maybe one of my favorite books of the Bible (after Genesis). This might surprise you as this prophetic book appears full of justice for the wickedness of Israel and surrounding countries.

Certainly, this book offers insight into the exile period and gives a vivid picture of countries during that day. It describes in great detail wealth, power, and then the wickedness that usually follows from straying away from God and His blessings. Sounds like today, huh? I find that this book often fits my mood when I see plainly all the evil in the world. How frustrating and discouraging it is for me to see and even experience the result of sin (perhaps cause I have seen the corrupt side of politics) but think how much more disappointing it is for God when he created and intended good and holiness. Although I am not a theologian by any stretch, it appears that after God serves justice for Israel's sins, Ezekiel explains that this is so that, "You may know that I am God."

If you dig deeper though, this book underlines the theme that God is and will be victorious. There is hope though that he reigns not only in the past for sending the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, but now through control over nations and kings of nations, and later again in future events. How comforting it is to know that God is in control even though you do not always understand. This all leads to the end of the book when God rules again in the temple. This means that God is and has beat evil.

The only thing that is required of me (us) is a repentant, humble heart. Ezekiel 36: 26 in the New Living Translation quotes, "And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart." After becoming holy and clean again, watch God fill the temple of your heart reigning and breathing life back into your dead bones and giving the tree new life again. Then allow Him to tend to that tree, helping it grow strong and healthy. This is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...