Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Salvation Sunday: Vote Your Values--Catholics Need To Vote For Mullen in Senate District 22

Fellow Catholics. There's only ONE choice for us in the Senate District 22 race. That choice is Jeff Mullen.

I was raised a Democrat in a small farming community in West Central Iowa. My parents were raised in very devout Catholic homes. The Kennedy family was viewed as role models (why, I'm not quite sure), but JFK was the first Catholic President. My mom and dad both talk about how the Nuns (Catholic school) came into the classrooms crying to inform the students about his assassination.

My brother and I were raised in a devout Catholic home as well. Mom was in the Ladies Guild, Dad sang in the Choir and quite often served as Lector. We practically had to have a sick note from the Pope to miss Mass on Sunday. But when I got to voting age, I was troubled. I had always been a "Democrat", and registered as such when I turned 18, but I had trouble with the issue of abortion.

As a Catholic, I always believed that life begins at conception. Abortion was just wrong. The Bible tells us "Thou shall not kill", and believing that life begins at conception, that would be murder, right? Having looked closer at the two parties, I eventually switched my party affiliation to Republican while in College. After graduation, I worked for Republicans and even rose through the ranks of the Polk County GOP to be elected Co-Chair at the ripe old age of 25.

In November, my husband, 3 boys ages 6, 3 and 1 and I moved to Waukee. The Senate District 22 race was in my home district and I took an interest in it, after all, I had a bit of a history in the race. Back in 2004, I had helped Pat Ward in her special election to get her elected to the Iowa Senate. I was excited to see what I thought was a strong, Conservative woman in the Iowa Senate and I hoped she would show the Ol' Boys Club that us girls could run along with the big boys. I was, however, disappointed in her performance. She didn't turn out to be the leader I thought she could be. I thought she'd be the one to stand up against Gronstal. The one who would stand up for ALL women's rights, those with AND who had yet to obtain a birth certificate.

On Friday, Jeff Mullen was considered a "candidate we find sufficiently meet our judgment criteria reflecting ability, sincerity and responsiveness in support of our Pro-Life legislative priorities" from the Iowa Right to Life. I've had a few sit down meetings with Candidate Mullen and I believe that he will be the candidate who protects life.

I urge Catholics residing in Senate District 22 to take a good look at this issue. As a Catholic, it is a core belief of ours to protect life. Candidate Mullen will do so. In my opinion, Pat Ward has failed at this issue. We as Catholics have the responsibility to stand up for life. We have the responsibility to vote for those who will protect life.

On Tuesday, I'll be voting for Jeff Mullen (www.jeffmullen.com ), not just for me, but for all of my boys, including my son who is due in August. Candidate Mullen will be a great voice for all of Senate District 22, including those who are not yet born. 
 
 
*Note: This blog post was originally published on the Waukee Patch but has since vanished on their website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...